HOLMES, TX (CALDWELL COUNTY)
HOLMES, TEXAS (Caldwell County). Holmes, southeast of what is now the intersection of Farm Road 20 and the West Fork of Plum Creek in central Caldwell County, was named for J. P. Holmes, who around 1900 ran a general store there. The community had a post office from 1899 to 1903, and by 1906 it had a school. In 1915 the Holmes community reported a population of twenty-five. As county roads were improved, the community was abandoned as residents moved to nearby Lockhart. Holmes was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.
Lockhart Post-Register, November 29, 1972.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vanessa L. Davis, "HOLMES, TX (CALDWELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh85), accessed October 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.