HOOVER, TX (GUADALUPE COUNTY)
HOOVER, TEXAS (Guadalupe County). Hoover was on what is now U.S. Highway 90 thirteen miles east of Seguin in eastern Guadalupe County. It was probably named for Dan C. Hoover, original grantee of the land in 1846. The Hoover school opened in 1879. When it was combined with the Nashes Creek school in 1922, its official name was the Wolters-Nixon Colored School, but students still called it Hoover. A three-room school with eleven grades served the community in 1939. The school and a few scattered houses were shown on the 1946 county highway map. The area schools had been consolidated with the Seguin Independent School District by the 1950s. No evidence of the community was shown on the 1987 county highway map.
Josephine S. Etlinger, Sweetest You Can Find: Life in Eastern Guadalupe County, Texas, 1851–1951 (San Antonio: Watercress, 1987).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HOOVER, TX (GUADALUPE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh90), accessed July 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.