HOOVER'S VALLEY, TX
HOOVER'S VALLEY, TEXAS. Hoover's Valley was a mile east of the Colorado River and ten miles southwest of Burnet in western Burnet County. Settlement of the area began in the early 1850s. The community was named for the Hoover family, who bought a 640-acre homestead there in 1854. Isaac Hoover, a Methodist minister, held services in an oak grove near the local cemetery; when the meetinghouse was completed it doubled as a school building until land for a new school was donated in 1872. A post office was established at Hoover's Valley in 1879 with John J. Mabry as postmaster, but it was discontinued in 1881. The Hoover's Valley common school district had fifty-eight students in 1896 and fifty-six in 1904. It was consolidated with the Burnet Independent School District in the 1940s. The Buckner Baptist Children's Home began operating a ranch in the valley in the late 1940s. A school, a few scattered houses, and a cemetery marked the community on the county highway map in 1948, but by 1989 these were no longer shown at the site.
Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HOOVER'S VALLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh91), accessed July 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.