HOUSTON, TX (ANDERSON COUNTY)
HOUSTON, TEXAS (Anderson County). Houston, also known as Fort Houston, was in the curve of Town Creek, a tributary of the Trinity River, on Farm Road 1990 and U.S. Highway 79, two miles west of the site of present Palestine in southwestern Anderson County. It was named for Gen. Sam Houston. In 1835 the town was platted, complete with a public burial ground, public square, wagonyards, a watering place near the local spring, and 500 acres of donated farmland to be assigned to the first twenty town residents. By 1836, because of Indian problems, a fort (called Fort Houstonqv) had been built in the town square by Capt. Michael Costley's company of Texas Rangersqv. Two walls or stockades, ten feet apart, were built around the fort. Survivors from the massacre at Fort Parker (among them Cynthia Parker's parents) fled to this larger and better fort in May 1836. Cabins, a post office, a school, and both Baptist and Methodist church groups existed at the community before 1841. In 1842 the settlement, by then known as Fort Houston, became the county seat of the judicial county of Burnet. See BURNET COUNTY (JUDICIAL). Four years later, when Anderson County was organized, the county seat was moved to Palestine, and Houston gradually was abandoned. In 1857 John H. Reagan bought 600 acres, which included the early townsite, for his home, which he called Fort Houston. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission erected a marker at the site where the fort once stood.
A. J. Fowler, "Historical Sketch of Anderson County," ed. Kate Efnor, American Sketch Book 5 (1879). Edna McDonald Wylie, The Fort Houston Settlement (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mrs. Harmon Watts, "HOUSTON, TX (ANDERSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhac), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.