HOVEY, TEXAS. Hovey is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and the Pecos county line, twenty-four miles northeast of Alpine in northern Brewster County. It was established as a railroad stop and named for G. B. Hovey, an official of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway, when the tracks reached the site in 1913. That year a post office was established there; it closed in the 1930s. By the early 1930s Hovey had a business and an estimated twenty-five inhabitants. Its population was reported at that level until the late 1940s, after which no further statistics were available. The 1982 county highway map identified the Hovey townsite but showed no structures there.
John Leeds Kerr and Frank Donovan, Destination Topolobampo: The Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway (San Marino, California: Golden West, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Glenn Justice, "HOVEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhad), accessed October 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.