HUMPHREY, TEXAS. Humphrey was near the South Fork of the Sabine River six miles from Quinlan in southern Hunt County. It began to form in 1858, and from 1874 to 1884 it had a post office. By 1885 Humphrey had a sawmill, a gin, a gristmill, and a general store. In 1899 its residents petitioned to have the post office reopened, and the new office operated from 1899 to 1906. Throughout its history Humphrey served as a church and school community for area farmers. Its population probably never exceeded fifty. By the 1940s Humphrey had twenty-three residents and served as the area school district for black students. The townsite was inundated by Lake Tawakoni in the late 1950s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "HUMPHREY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhar), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.