HALIFAX, TEXAS. Halifax, in central Polk County, was an antebellum community (see ANTEBELLUM TEXAS) that served as a trading center for area farmers. It once had a gambling house, a racetrack and stables, a hotel, a saloon, a gristmill, and a blacksmith shop. An old Indian burial ground was located south of the community. John S. Neyland was the community's postmaster; the post office served the area from Midway to Old Hope and operated from 1853 to 1858.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "HALIFAX, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhbh), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.