HUBERT, TEXAS. Hubert is on the Missouri Pacific Railroad between Mathis and Odem two miles west of Edroy in western San Patricio County. It was a railroad switch on the Crystal City and Uvalde Railway, which came through San Patricio County in 1914. The switch was named for Hubert (Bert) Odem, son of Sheriff David Odem, who had extensive landholdings in the area. The switch was used to load gravel that came from a pit run by the Fordyce Gravel Company on the Nueces River in the early 1930s. The pit was in operation until 1963, when the supply of gravel was exhausted and the company closed and moved its operations to the other side of the river. The narrow-gauge line that ran from the railroad to the gravel pit was owned and maintained by Fordyce, but the railroad furnished the materials. After the pit closed, the spur line was removed. A gin was built on the south side of the railroad about 1928 and called Hubert Switch Gin. It operated until the early 1950s, when it was closed and the building was torn down. The community was also served by Hubert Switch School, established by 1936, and by a commissary on Dave Odem's ranch. All that remained in 1990 was a railroad siding used occasionally for empties and a "whistle" sign on either side of the railroad crossing.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Keith Guthrie, "HUBERT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhbn), accessed December 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.