HENRY CHAPEL, TX
HENRY CHAPEL, TEXAS. Henry Chapel is southeast of Graham and a mile west of the Jack county line in far southeastern Young County. During the Civil War the Lemly family was living in this section of the county, and in 1869 John Lemly, a son, was killed by Indians. The Henry Chapel settlement was named for John R. Henry, who bought two sections of land at fifty cents an acre and donated land for a church. The chapel, which bears his name, was built in 1878. Henry was a Methodist and organized the church. He was also a steward, a contributor, and a Sunday school teacher for a number of years. The chapel served as a schoolhouse, called Mud College by locals. The school was consolidated with that of Graham in 1930. In 1922 a store called Dixie was established at Henry Chapel by Tom Bowman. An oil boom in the 1920s resulted in a brief period of growth for the community, but county highway maps from the 1930s showed only the church and scattered residences. In the early 1990s the little white church was a well-preserved landmark.
L. G. Cook, The History of Education in Young County, Texas (N.p., n.d; Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin). Carrie J. Crouch, Young County: History and Biography (Dallas: Dealey and Love, 1937; rev. ed., A History of Young County, Texas, Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1956). Young County Federation of Women's Clubs, Scrapbook of Young County (Graham, Texas?, 194-?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanne F. Lively, "HENRY CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhqh), accessed December 05, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.