INDEPENDENCE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
INDEPENDENCE, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Independence, just off Farm Road 3236 and eight miles northeast of Sulphur Springs in north central Hopkins County, was founded after the Civil War. A school was established there in 1888 on land donated by William Reed, and later a church was built. In 1905 the school had an enrollment of thirty-two. During the mid-1930s Independence had the church and school and a number of scattered dwellings. The school later closed, and in the mid-1960s only the church remained. In the late 1980s Independence was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "INDEPENDENCE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvi09), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.