INGE, TEXAS. Inge was a frontier community near Fort Inge, several miles south of the future site of Uvalde in south central Uvalde County. The community appears to have been established around the same time as the fort (1849); the first settlers were the Allen, William Washington Arnett, Brown, Howard, Levering, and Nelson families. In 1852 Arnett produced a spring-irrigated hay crop under contract with the fort. Between 1849 and 1855 the site served as a pony express stop between San Antonio and El Paso. By 1855 the residents of Inge had moved to the growing town of Uvalde and abandoned the settlement.
Florence Fenley, Old Timers of Southwest Texas (Uvalde, Texas: Hornby, 1957). Frederick Law Olmsted, A Journey through Texas (New York, 1857; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1978). A Proud Heritage: A History of Uvalde County (Uvalde, Texas: El Progreso Club, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "INGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvi13), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.