IRONOSA, TEXAS. Ironosa was on Arenosa and Big Iron Ore creeks and Farm Road 711, ten miles northwest of San Augustine in northwestern San Augustine County. It is believed to be named for nearby Arenosa Creek. The community received a post office in 1884 and by 1890 had an estimated 100 inhabitants, three general stores, a sawmill-gristmill, and a mill and gin. By 1896 Ironosa had a Baptist church. The post office closed in 1916. In the 1930s the community was on the Frost Industries Lumber Tram line, and in 1940 it had a few scattered dwellings. By the 1980s Ironosa was no longer listed on state highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "IRONOSA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvi17), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.