ISLAND, TX (GALVESTON COUNTY)
ISLAND, TEXAS (Galveston County). Island was on the point of land facing Galveston Bay and separated by Offats Bayou from the rest of Galveston Island, half a mile from the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad crossing between Galveston Island and Virginia Point, in southwestern Galveston County. In 1903 the Island school had thirty-four pupils and one teacher. In 1936 state highway maps showed two buildings and scattered dwellings at the townsite. By 1948 the name was applied to the area in Galveston west of Fifty-seventh Street, which had 100 businesses and a population of 3,000. By 1990 the area was part of Galveston, and separate population estimates were unavailable.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "ISLAND, TX (GALVESTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvi18), accessed December 07, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.