JEFFRY, TEXAS. Jeffry, in northeastern Hutchinson County, had a post office from March 1902 to October 1918, after which mail was sent to Adobe Walls. Area children attended the Holt School, built in 1906 on land donated by Ben Holt. This school reported fifty-seven students around 1916–18 but only seven in 1928. In 1949 the school was consolidated with the Pringle and Spearman schools, and its building was subsequently used as a community center. A 1982 map showed a cemetery nearby.
Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). Hutchinson County Historical Commission, History of Hutchinson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "JEFFRY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvj09), accessed October 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.