JERICHO, TEXAS. Jericho, just off Interstate Highway 40 in northern Donley County, was established in 1902 as a station on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway. It was granted a post office that year and was named for the biblical city in Palestine. At its height in the 1930s, Jericho had three stores, a grain elevator, a tourist court, and a garage and filling station. Jericho's population was estimated to be 100 in 1933 and fifty by 1939. Its post office was discontinued in 1955, and by the 1980s little remained at the townsite.
Virginia Browder, Donley County: Land O' Promise (Wichita Falls, Texas: Nortex, 1975). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "JERICHO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvj11), accessed December 13, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.