JEWEL, TEXAS. Jewel (Jewell) was four miles southeast of Carbon in south central Eastland County. It was founded in the early 1870s, and a post office opened there in 1876. By 1892 the town had an estimated population of 100, a school, a gin, and several churches and stores. When the Texas Central Railroad bypassed the town, most of its residents moved to Shinoak or Gorman. The community's post office closed in 1906, and by the mid-1930s Jewel was no longer shown on the county highway map. In the late 1980s only a cemetery marked the site of the former settlement.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). The History of Eastland County, 1873–1973.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julius A. Amin, "JEWEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvj12), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.