JOHNSON, TEXAS. Johnson, also known as Johnson's Camp or Johnson's Switch, was on the Orange and Northwestern Railway in eastern Jasper County. The camp was established in 1906 soon after the completion of the railroad and named after its logging contractor, Ben Johnson. The Johnson camp was used to log for the Miller-Link Lumber Company and had a peak production of twenty-five carloads of timber a day. The camp's population numbered between 250 and 300. The camp was dismantled in 1910, and by 1949 the site was part of the Henderson-Lanier Ranch. No evidence of the lumbering facilities remained in 1986.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "JOHNSON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvj15), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.