KONOHASSET, TEXAS. Konohasset was near the North Concho River in northeastern Glasscock County 1½ miles west of the Sterling county line. The community developed from the utopian plan of a physician, Dr. J. T. O'Barr, who formed a company and laid out the town on three sections of land in May 1907. He graded and named the streets and constructed five two-story buildings with ten rooms each for his patients. Several lots were sold for homes and businesses. Four hundred acres were planted in cotton and sold to settlers on easy terms. A post office was established in 1907 along with a few businesses, a cotton gin, and a school. The Konohasset community, however, survived only a little more than a decade. The school blew away in a storm after two terms and was not rebuilt. Other buildings were damaged by the same storm, diminishing the community. The gin lost in competition with those in Big Spring, and it shut down. By 1918 the post office closed, and Dr. O'Barr bought back the lots and turned the acreage to pasture.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julia Cauble Smith, "KONOHASSET, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvk40), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.