LAKELAND, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)
LAKELAND, TEXAS (Liberty County). Lakeland was seven miles north of Liberty in central Liberty County. The agricultural community was the site of a gristmill, a sawmill, a cotton gin, and a schoolhouse. The Lakeland post office was established in 1904 with William Finley as postmaster. It was discontinued in 1931, and the site of the old Lakeland community, estimated to have had a population of seventy-five in 1910, was soon developed as part of the Hardin oilfield, discovered in 1935.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "LAKELAND, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl15), accessed June 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.