LANDER, TEXAS. Lander was sixteen miles southeast of Yoakum near the Lavaca and Victoria county lines in DeWitt County. The school was established in 1905 on land donated by J. A. Lander and became the county's first state-aid rural school in 1934. It was closed in 1944. Church of Christ services were held in the abandoned building in 1948. Lander has not been a designated place name on the county highway map since at least 1962.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "LANDER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl22), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.