LLOYD, TEXAS. Lloyd, founded in 1850 on the old McKinney-Denton road nine miles east of Denton, was one of the pioneer settlements in Denton County. The community was named after A. P. Lloyd, the first county clerk, and had the first post office in the county. At one time Lloyd had a school, a Methodist church, and several businesses, including two stores and a gin. Like many of the other pioneer settlements in Denton County bypassed by the railroads, Lloyd failed to develop a self-sustaining economy. The community remained a village until World War II, when the few remaining residents left, so that by 1945 only a few vacant buildings remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "LLOYD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl66), accessed December 05, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.