LOMA ALTA, TX (MCMULLEN COUNTY)
LOMA ALTA, TEXAS (McMullen County). Loma Alta, also known as Lomo Alto or Lomo, is twenty-two miles southeast of Tilden on a county road off Farm Road 624 in southern McMullen County. By 1900 the community had a school and a few houses; in 1905 nineteen students attended the school. In 1910 John M. Whitley opened a general store, which closed around 1915. Also in 1910 a post office opened under the name Lomo Alto, and the community had a population of twelve. The post office closed in 1924. During the 1930s the community saw a brief oil boom, and a map from the 1940s showed a school still in Loma Alta. The school closed in the late 1940s, and by 1952 the community consisted of only a few houses scattered near the site. Loma Alta was still shown on the 1988 county highway map.
Joe Pate Smyer, A History of McMullen County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John Leffler, "LOMA ALTA, TX (MCMULLEN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl70), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on September 19, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.