LOU, TEXAS. Lou was in an oil and farming area seventeen miles west of Lamesa in western Dawson County. The C. L. Gaultney family settled there in August 1906. They helped organize the community and build the school. They also helped R. B. Red build one of the first gins in the county. A post office was established on August 2, 1907, with Charles B. Martin as postmaster, and a small community grew up near the office. A Christian society was organized the same year. In 1945 Lou had a post office, two businesses, and a population of fifty. The post office continued until the late 1940s. County maps in the 1980s showed no evidence of the rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "LOU, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl81), accessed December 13, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.