LIVING GREEN, TX
LIVING GREEN, TEXAS. Living Green is on Farm Road 1519 five miles southwest of Pittsburg in southwestern Camp County. The community developed around Living Green Baptist Church, a black church organized in 1875. Originally, the church building also served as a schoolhouse and was located a mile from the present church building. The community was rural and agricultural and never had a post office or any significant commercial establishments. By 1935 the school offered the first eight grades and was being administered as a part of the Oakley common school district. It served seventy-eight black children of elementary school age. By 1955 the school district had been consolidated with the Pittsburg Independent School District, and by 1983 the community comprised little more than the church and a few widely scattered houses.
Hollie Max Cummings, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Camp County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937). Artemesia L. B. Spencer, The Camp County Story (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "LIVING GREEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvlaq), accessed September 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.