LIBERTY, TX (LEE COUNTY)
LIBERTY, TEXAS (Lee County). Liberty, also known as Thompson's Gin, was a rural community in north central Lee County six miles northwest of Lexington. It was settled by Danes in the 1870s and 1880s and was originally known as Thompson's Gin, after Niels Thompson, who owned and operated a cotton gin there in the late 1880s. Because of the large number of Danish settlers, the area for a time was nicknamed "Little Denmark." The name of the community was changed to Liberty for a school that was built in the area sometime before 1900. During the 1905–06 school year twenty-nine students were enrolled. The school was later annexed by the Lexington Independent School District. By the mid-1930s the town was no longer shown on the county highway map.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "LIBERTY, TX (LEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvlay), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.