MACKSVILLE, TEXAS. Macksville, in southern Comanche County, was established around 1910 when the Cotton Belt Railroad was laid through the area. The community, which became a flag station, was named for J. M. (Mack) McCurry, an early settler who owned a large tract of land in the area. Other early settlers included the Livingstons, Stutevilles, Smiths, Allens, and Browns. The main occupation in the area was farming; McCurry's chief crops were berries and peanuts. In 1930 Macksville had a population of seventy-five. By the 1980s the community was a ghost town.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982). Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julius A. Amin, "MACKSVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm02), accessed December 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.