MARNELS, TEXAS. Marnels grew up around a stock loading and shipping station across Yellow House Canyon and just north of Lubbock in Lubbock County. It was on the Santa Fe line from Canyon to Lubbock. The area was originally known as the Lubbock Stock Yards, but the name was changed in 1916 to a combination of the names of Marie and Nelson Farley, children of D. S. Farley, then superintendent of the Santa Fe line at Lubbock. In 1917 the company moved in a small frame structure to serve as a stockyard office. As was customary with the railroad, when the need for the building ceased, it was moved. The 1948 county highway map showed three residences in the area. The community is not shown on the 1983 county highway map. The Marnels townsite was west of the site of Old Lubbock and falls within the Lubbock Lake National Historic and State Archeological Landmark.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.S. S. McKay, "MARNELS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm35), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.