MARY, TEXAS. Mary was five miles northeast of Alice in east central Jim Wells County. It was named for Mary Dunn, the wife of a local rancher. At its height the community had a grocery store and was a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. By 1936 all that remained of the community was the railroad stop, and by 1963 it was no longer shown on maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "MARY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm44), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.