MILTON, TX (TYLER COUNTY)
MILTON, TEXAS (Tyler County). Milton is between Woodville and Hillister in central Tyler County. At one time the town was on the route of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The sawmill community was originally known as Seneca, and a post office under that name was established in 1887, with Robert Snelling as the first postmaster. Robert Snelling and Company established the Seneca Mills sometime in 1887, after Snelling's former mill at Kountze was destroyed by a hurricane in October 1886. In March 1888 his new mill's capacity was 40,000 feet a day. In June 1888 the mill was producing 30,000 feet a day, with 1,250,000 feet on hand. Along with Snelling, Y. F. Gayne was one of the mill company officials at this time. One source cites 1891 as a closing date for the Seneca post office. Though the mill was abandoned rather early, a few people continued to live in the wooded and cutover areas through at least the 1970s, and their mail was brought on a rural route via Hillister from Woodville. Seneca Road provides an alternative but circuitous route between Woodville and Hillister. In 1978 there were twenty-three residents in the area; no further population figures were available.
It's Dogwood Time in Tyler County (Woodville, Texas), 1962.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "MILTON, TX (TYLER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm86), accessed December 05, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.