MISSION HILL, TX
MISSION HILL, TEXAS. Mission Hill, a Comal County community on the northwest outskirts of New Braunfels, was named for Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Mission, established on the Guadalupe River in 1755 for scattered groups of Tawakoni, Yojuane, Mayeye, Ervipiame, and other Indians. German settlers from New Braunfels spread into nearby Mission Valley in 1846. A public free school was established in 1870, and for a time a Catholic chapel was maintained. Potassium nitrate for the manufacture of gunpowder for the Confederate Army was extracted from bat guano taken from the Brehmer Cave in the valley.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Oscar Haas, "MISSION HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm90), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.