MONTEREY, TX (ANGELINA COUNTY)
MONTEREY, TEXAS (Angelina County). Monterey, a sawmill settlement of the early 1900s, was in on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway and near the banks of the Angelina River eleven miles east of Huntington southeastern Angelina County. The town was the site of the Industrial Lumber Company mill. It had a general store operated by F. W. Speed. In 1902 it acquired a post office; Alfred J. Wigley was the first postmaster. In 1913 mail delivery was transferred to Huntington. In 1905 the St. Louis Southwestern of Texas extended its track beyond Monterey. The town's population in 1910 was twenty-five, and by the start of World War II the settlement was only a loading switch.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976). Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "MONTEREY, TX (ANGELINA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm99), accessed September 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.