MORGAN CENTER, TX
MORGAN CENTER, TEXAS. Morgan Center was a short-lived oil boom town five miles northwest of the site of present Burkburnett in northeastern Wichita County. Established on the ranch property of Lillis Morgan, from whom it derived its name, the tent city developed with the extension of the Burkburnett oilfield between 1919 and 1920. Similar to other boom towns, the settlement was quickly overrun by people hoping to profit from the discovery of oil, but just as quickly disappeared when the oil wells stopped producing. Morgan Center no longer existed by the early 1920s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "MORGAN CENTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmag), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.