MERCY, TEXAS. Mercy is between Farm roads 1725 and 945 fifty-five miles north of Houston in south central San Jacinto County. The locale was at one time connected by tram railroad to Fostoria, where large quantities of San Jacinto County timber were processed into lumber. The Mercy post office operated from 1915 to 1918. The Mercy oilfield, first discovered in 1942, has yielded more than 13 million barrels of crude oil, and significant new discoveries were made in 1947, 1979, 1980, and 1981. Scattered buildings mark the site, and limited development of the area was undertaken during the 1960s and early 1970s.
Railroad Commission of Texas, Annual Report of the Oil and Gas Division (Austin, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "MERCY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmbm), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.