MACK, TEXAS. The site of Mack is near present U.S. Highway 183/283 eighteen miles southeast of Vernon in south central Wilbarger County. The community evolved in the 1880s and became a gathering place for ranchers and farmers. A post office established in 1889 with George W. McCollum as postmaster was discontinued and moved to Pinta in 1894. About 1893 a school was started. It served the area until it was consolidated with the Grapevine school in 1932. Early settlers of Mack included the Boyle, Reed, Schaub, and Ferebee families. Nothing remained of the community by the 1980s except a cemetery just east of the highway near Minnos Creek.
Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "MACK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmbv), accessed December 05, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.