MILNER, TEXAS. Milner was eight miles northwest of Linden and ten miles northeast of Hughes Springs in west central Cass County. It was settled in the early 1870s. A post office opened in 1882 under the name Galloway, with J. W. Gallaway as postmaster. The next year the name of the office was changed to Gallaway. In 1891 the name of the town was changed to Milner, in honor of William J. Milner, an early settler. The village had three churches, a district school, and a population of twenty-five in 1884, but was little more than a country post office operated at Daniel Boon's cotton gin by 1892. By 1940 Milner had ceased to exist as a named community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "MILNER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmbw), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.