NEALS, TEXAS. Neals was thirteen miles southwest of Gilmer and just north of the Sabine River in southern Upshur County. The settlement, named for an early settler, Charles O'Neal, was established as a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1871. It served for a time as a shipping point for pine lumber milled on the Sabine. By 1890 the settlement had disappeared.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "NEALS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn09), accessed January 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.