NEBO, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
NEBO, TEXAS (Smith County). Nebo is off Farm Road 16 just north of Cooks Creek and two miles east of Lindale in northern Smith County. In 1903 eighty-one pupils attended the one-teacher Nebo Elementary School. In the 1920s a small one-story white frame structure served as Nebo School. In 1933 the community had one business. The school had sixty-two students and employed three teachers in 1936, when maps showed a church, a cemetery, a school, and a collection of farms at the site, accessed by bladed and graded dirt roads. By 1952 the school had been consolidated into the Lindale Independent School District. Nebo had a population of twenty-five from 1933 to 1989. In 1960 and 1981 maps showed the Damascus Church and Cemetery in the area.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965).