NEDRA, TEXAS. Nedra was on Farm Road 102 and the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway a mile south of Bonus and twelve miles north of Wharton in north central Wharton County. It was established in 1898 when the Cane Belt Railroad was surveyed. The community had a post office in 1919–20; mail was afterward delivered from Egypt. Local farmers shipped cotton, rice, and livestock from Egypt. The Nedra school merged with the Bonus school district, and in 1926 the Bonus-Nedra area had four schools, seventy-five white students, 110 black students, and four teachers. In 1936 only the schools, two churches, and scattered dwellings remained between Bonus and Sand Ridge to the south. In 1958 the Bonus-Nedra school district was consolidated with the Hungerford Independent School District. By 1989 Nedra no longer appeared on state highway maps.
J. O. Graham, The Book of Wharton County, Texas (Wharton?: Philip Rich, 1926). Annie Lee Williams, A History of Wharton County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "NEDRA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn11), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.