NEW SALEM, TX (MILAM COUNTY)
NEW SALEM, TEXAS (Milam County). New Salem was a rural community four miles southeast of Rockdale and two miles east of Farm Road 908 in southeastern Milam County. It served as a voting precinct in 1886. The school at New Salem had fifty-one students and one teacher in 1903. A school, a church, a cemetery, and several scattered houses were shown in the community on the 1941 county highway map. The school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1954, after which no further information was available.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "NEW SALEM, TX (MILAM COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn27), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.