NORMANVILLE, TEXAS. Normanville, also known as Norman, was in southeastern San Jacinto County on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway between Shepherd and Wescott. There were at least three efforts to operate a sawmill at the site, which secured a rail switch about 1905. Wilbur H. Norman, for whom the town was named, ran a sawmill in the area about 1899. The Garrison Lumber Company established a sawmill, planer, and sheds at Normanville, but these were destroyed by fire in 1913. Tobe Harris operated a mill there from 1915 to 1918. For several years loggers continued to use the switch, which was discontinued during World War II, and the tram road network that ran both east and west from Normanville. By 1976 the site had been deserted.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "NORMANVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn48), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.