NORTH LIBERTY, TX
NORTH LIBERTY, TEXAS. North Liberty, a farming community on Farm Road 1537 six miles northeast of Sulphur Springs in central Hopkins County, was founded sometime after the Civil War. The community grew up around a Baptist church that had first been organized at Tarrant after 1846. In 1870, when Tarrant ceased to be the county seat, losing the county government to Sulphur Springs, the church met in the nearby Mount Sterling schoolhouse. In 1888 a new church building was constructed at the present site of North Liberty. The community was never very large. In the mid-1930s it had the church, a cemetery, a school, and a few scattered farmhouses. The school later closed, but in the mid-1980s the community still had a church and a few houses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "NORTH LIBERTY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn52), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.