NORTH UVALDE, TX
NORTH UVALDE, TEXAS. North Uvalde was a shipping point on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway; it was two miles west of the Two Mile Waterhole and two miles north of Uvalde in south central Uvalde County. Although the names North Uvalde and Sansom were used synonymously on deeds of trust as early as 1905, the community was generally referred to as Sansom in its early history. It was named for former Texas Ranger and Civil War veteran Capt. John W. Sansom and granted a post office in 1891. By 1892 the settlement had a population of 200 and a cotton gin, a saloon, the Sansom and Martin general merchandise store, which also served as the community bank, and a post office run by C. E. Townsend. Merchandise available at the general store included cedar fence posts, pecans, skins, and furs.
Before 1905 Captain Sansom owned and operated a hotel in the community. In 1907 twelve students attended the one-teacher school. Between 1910 and 1915 Sansom was a thriving community of between 400 and 500 people, many of whom prospered as a result of the railroad. Local operators of buggies, hacks, and wagons profited by transporting drummers and merchandise throughout the county. Between 1905 and 1915 three hotels operated in the community; the Star, owned by J. B. King; the Depot, owned by Miss Vera Omelia; and the Red Brick, owned by J. W. Mason. The lower floor of the Red Brick Hotel, which housed a grocery store and confectionery, was at one time converted into a skating rink; the building that housed the hotel was still in use in 1975.
In 1914 Sansom was at the junction of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio; the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf; and the Uvalde and Leona Interurban railroads. The Leona Interurban carried passengers back and forth from Sansom to Uvalde. Due to the convergence of these railroads at Sansom the community came to be called Uvalde Junction. The streetcar portion of the Interurban Railroad was eventually sold to the White's Mine Asphalt business located in southwestern Uvalde County for use in their operation. The town also had telephone connections, Baptist, Christian, and Methodist churches, and a large number of grocers; Arthur Halbert was serving as postmaster in 1914. Sansom also had a newspaper around this time, the Sansom Smile. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor Shepard, local taxidermists, became known for baskets made of armadillo shells. By 1921, however, the community had become part of Uvalde, and the post office at Sansom had officially changed its name to North Uvalde.
A Proud Heritage: A History of Uvalde County (Uvalde, Texas: El Progreso Club, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "NORTH UVALDE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn54), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.