NYE, TEXAS. Nye was two miles north of Laredo in southwestern Webb County. It was named for Thomas C. Nye, who introduced the Bermuda onion culture into the area in 1898. In 1906 500 carloads of onions were shipped from Nye Spur on the International-Great Northern Railroad. A school began operating about 1900, and during the 1907–08 school year it had an enrollment of forty-two. The area has been gradually absorbed by neighboring Laredo, and in the early 1990s only a few older dwellings still marked the site of the former settlement.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "NYE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn62), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.