NAPIER, TEXAS. Napier is on U.S. Highway 59 fifty-five miles north of Houston in southeastern San Jacinto County. The community was shown on maps as early as 1905, when it appeared as a stop on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway. Numerous tram rail lines from Liberty County extend both east and west of Napier and indicate that the area was once the site of extensive logging operations. Napier underwent extensive development during the late 1960s and early 1970s as a result of its proximity to Shepherd, the largest town in San Jacinto County, and its location on the main highway between Houston and Lake Livingston, a popular recreation site. By 1983 Napier had been absorbed by Shepherd.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "NAPIER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn66), accessed June 16, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.