NEWTOWN, TX [#2] (WICHITA COUNTY)
NEWTOWN, TEXAS [#2] (Wichita County). Newtown was halfway between Electra and Beaver Creek in far southwestern Wichita County. The short-lived community developed around 1910 during the Wichita County oil boom. Newtown was a name shared by other oil boom communities, including a much larger Newtown in the northern part of the county. This smaller Newtown had two stores and probably served workers at the Electra and Burnett oilfields. The community was no longer shown on county highway maps in the 1930s.
Louise Kelly, Wichita County Beginnings (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "NEWTOWN, TX [#2] (WICHITA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn72), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.