NOTTINGHAM, TEXAS. Nottingham, at Stewart Road near what is now Twelve Mile Road a mile east of Lake Como on Galveston Island in southwestern Galveston County, enjoyed a brief existence in the late nineteenth century. A lace factory was its principal business, and a post office operated at Nottingham from 1892 to 1894. The 1900 hurricane largely destroyed the community, though the local school had one teacher and eighteen pupils in 1907. By 1990 only traces of the lace factory remained at the site.
Ray Miller, Ray Miller's Galveston (Houston: Cordovan Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "NOTTINGHAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn73), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.