OILLA, TEXAS. Oilla is on the Southern Pacific line twelve miles east of Beaumont in central Orange County. Ernest Williams and Robert Walles owned the tract and drew up a town plat in 1913, probably naming the town in reference to a recent discovery of oil in central Orange County at the Kishi settlement. The Oilla post office opened in 1913. Though Oilla was the site of the Rush-Daniel Lumber Company and was on the important Texas and New Orleans Railroad, it had a population of only twelve in 1920. By the 1970s, scattered residential development had marked the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "OILLA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvo13), accessed April 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.