PALMETTO, TX (NEWTON COUNTY)
PALMETTO, TEXAS (Newton County). Palmetto, seven miles from Newton in northwestern Newton County, was established in 1916 as a logging camp of the Palmetto Lumber Company. The employees numbered seventy-five, and the population of the camp was 250. When the timber supply was depleted in 1926, operations were discontinued. The installations were removed and the site abandoned.
Josephine Cochrum Peavy, A History of Newton County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942). Patricia Ward Wallace, Gleanings of Toledo Bend (Newton, Texas: Newton County Historical Commission, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Madeleine Martin, "PALMETTO, TX (NEWTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp06), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.