PARRIS, TEXAS. Parris was just south of the site of present-day Melissa in central Collin County. The settlement was named for Thaddeus Parris, a Mexican War veteran, who built an ox-turned gristmill near the banks of the East Fork of the Trinity River in 1859. The gristmill attracted settlers during the next decade. Parris remained a community center for area farmers until sometime in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century.
Rita Bickley Roose, Records of Reconstruction Days in Collin County (N.p.: Spring Hill Press, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "PARRIS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp11), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.