PATTON, TX (GALVESTON COUNTY)
PATTON, TEXAS (Galveston County). Patton, also known as Patton Beach, was on Bolivar Peninsula and State Highway 57 ten miles northeast of Galveston in southeastern Galveston County. The settlement, originally on a mail route from Port Bolivar, had a post office known as Patton Beach from 1898 to 1900. In 1897 the local school had thirty-two pupils, but by 1902, possibly the last year the school operated, enrollment had dropped to only four. Summer homes were built at Patton, and local residents raised cattle. The population in 1948 was fifteen.
Samuel Butler Graham and Ellen Newman, Galveston Community Book: A Historical and Biographical Record of Galveston and Galveston County (Galveston: Cawston, 1945).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "PATTON, TX (GALVESTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp17), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.